28 February 2009

Chocolate Marble Cake

Mum bought a $2.15 "marble cake" last weekend. How could it be so cheap? The ingredients were flour, eggs, oil and many other flavourings and colourings. And the marble look was on the surface of the cake only. Sigh, told mum that she should have just let me know that she wanted to eat some cakes and I would have gladly make some for her. But she seems to enjoy eating that $2.15 cake because it was so cheap...

The homemade one, though costs slightly more, is definitely healthier than the one that uses a lot of flavourings and colourings.

I came across a marble cake recipe at All That Matters and adjusted it to use whatever ingredients I have in my cabinet, ie top flour and brown sugar.

It's a learning experience for me. I realised that I could not whisk the egg white and brown sugar to a soft peak as required by the original recipe.

So here is my recipe:



Ingredients

200g butter
160g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 eggs
2 tbsp of low fat milk
200g top flour
1 tsp baking powder

1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp low fat milk
(mix thoroughly)

Method

1. Beat butter, sugar, vanilla essence until light and creamy

2. Add in one egg at a time and beat until creamy. Add in milk.

3. Fold in flour and baking powder

4. Spoon half of the mixture into a separate bowl. Add in cocoa mixture and stir well.

5. Drop alternate spoonfuls of mixtures into a pan. Use a chopstick to pull backwards and forward through the mixture.

6. Bake cake for 40 minutes in oven of 170 degree Celsius or when the skewer comes out clean. Turn the cake onto the wire rack to cool.

2 comments:

Newspapers Junkie said...

Hi, thanks for linking me up. I love to read and collect recipes. Maybe you can check up some of the recipes I have collected from Singapore newspapers and magazines. :)

shYan said...

hi, reading and collecting recipes are my hobby too. Cheers.