20 August 2009

Chocolate Marble Cake 2

It's mum's birthday today!

It's been a long time since I last baked a cake. The fear of butter and sugar was enough to deter me from doing it more often. I should just say grace over the cake, sanctify it, cast out all the unwanted calories and believe that only the goodness and nutrients enter our bodies as we enjoy it.

I didn't succeed when I attempted All That Matter's Orange Chocolate Marble Cake recipe the last time and ended up with a modified version. Firstly, I did not use evaporated milk. Secondly, I used brown sugar to beat with the egg whites and it did not turn into the soft peak that ATM's recipe requires. Lastly, I did not use the orange zest.

Today, I tried to follow ATM's recipe closely, but without the orange zest.

One mistake I made today was that I forgot to wash the electric hand mixer clean before I beat the egg whites and sugar. After beating for a while, it could not turn into soft peak. Realising the mistake, I had no choice but to discard the mixture (because I really don't know what to do with it), wash the mixer and the mixing bowl, wipe-dry them, take out the measuring scale to measure more sugar, crack more eggs for the egg whites and re-do this step. Thankfully, it worked this time.

This is for mum's birthday...


Mum said that this cake is nice. It's not too oily and thus, not so "scary". She doesn't fancy oily cakes and cakes with too much cream. It tastes really nice when it's slightly warm.

Do check out ATM's blog. Rei has also made reference to the marble cake recipe at Aunty Yochana's Cake Delight. It is a pretty tri-colour marble cake. I may give it a try.

I really admire Rei's skill in making those mahjong tiles. They really look like the real thing. Amazing. See her mahjong tiles here....

No comments: