05 April 2009

Chwee Kueh

We forgot to buy breakfast for tomorrow and not wanting to make a trip to buy bread and not wanting to eat instant noodle, I decided to try on Gina(KC)'s Chwee Kueh recipe that I saw at her website and also at Cuisine-Asia as I still have some preserved chopped radish left from yesterday's "experiment".

Ingredients

200g rice flour
1,000ml boiling water

200g preserved chopped radish (chai por), washed and drained
1 clove of garlic, chopped
2 tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp sugar
50ml corn oil

Method

1. Heat up a claypot with corn oil and saute the chopped garlic till fragrant. Add preserved chopped radish, light soy sauce and sugar and stir fry for 2 minutes.

2. Cover the claypot and lower the heat to let it simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.

3. Sift rice flour in a mixing bowl and slowly pour boiling water and stir till there are no lumps in the batter.

4. Pour batter into aluminium cups and steam over high heat for 5 minutes.

5. Remove the chwee kueh from the cup and garnish with a spoonful of cooked radish.

I did half of the recipe and yielded 12 chwee kuehs because I only have 100g of chai por left. I have also left out the sugar because I find that the chai por I bought is kind of sweet. The chwee kuehs were steamed in teacups instead of the aluminium cups as I do not have them.

H said they are almost as good as the ones bought outside. Perhaps it's time to invest in some aluminium cups?

No comments: